March 1, 2017
Basil Tonks, President
1.Definition of Personal Information
Personal information is defined as a person’s full name, birth date, address, telephone number, e-mail address, occupation, place of work or study, and/or any other description of a person, including symbols or any other codes assigned to them or recordings of their image or voice, etc., which can identify an individual (including any other data that can easily identify individuals by cross-checking with other information).
2.Collection of Personal Information
- (1) We will collect your personal information either with your consent or as necessary to achieve the purposes mentioned in Section 3 below.
- (2) We will legally and fairly collect your personal information.
3.Intended Use of Personal Information
We will only use the personal information that is necessary to achieve the purposes mentioned below.
- (a) To confirm whether you are a user of our products or services when we offer you our product or service, or the product or service of a business partner with whom we have signed a non-disclosure agreement (hereinafter called “the Business Partner”)
- (b) To conduct questionnaires or to ask for opinions as to how our products and services are being used, how they may be improved and/or to analyze the results of such improvements.
- (c) To provide information about our products and services, and related information that may be useful to you.
- (d) To create statistical data categorized according to attributes associated with you.
- (e) To provide information about the Business Partner's products and services, and related information that may be useful to you.
- (f) To provide you with information regarding solutions to problems with our products or services.
4.Personal Information Management System
- (1) We shall store and safely keep personal information we have obtained using our management system.
- (2) We shall take proper protective and corrective measures to prevent any unauthorized access to, loss of, destruction of, falsification of, and leakage of personal information under our management.
- (3) We shall do our best to update the personal information we have obtained, maintain accurate records, and manage such information properly, and we will appoint an administrator in charge of dealing with such information.
- (4) If we outsource the management of personal information we have obtained to a third party, we will oblige that third party to use the same information management system as we do, and supervise it to ensure that it safely manages such personal information.
5.Access Log and Cookie Record
There are some pages on our web site that use a “cookie” to collect your browsing history and to make your use of our web site more efficient. The cookie can identify your computer but not you personally. By changing your web browser settings, you can refuse to accept the cookie or you can have your computer display a warning when receiving the cookie. Please note that if you refuse to accept the cookie, you may not be able to use some features on our web site and/or some of the pages may not be displayed properly.
6.Shared Use of Personal Information
- (1) We shall share and use the personal information we have obtained with the Society for Advancement of International Education, a specified non-profit organization, for the purposes mentioned in Section 3 above.
- (2) The administrator in charge of managing the personal information mentioned in (1) above is as follows:
ERD Division, EDVEC Inc.
7.Provision of Personal Information to a Third Party
- (1) We shall never, without your consent, provide any of your personal information that is under our management to any third party, except our business partners, the original authors of our products and services (hereinafter called “the Original Authors”), and certified public accountants and attorneys who have the legal obligation to protect confidentiality.
- (2) When providing personal information to such business partners, the Original Authors, and certified public accountants or attorneys who have the legal obligation to protect confidentiality, we shall provide such information to them online.
- (3) In the cases mentioned below, we may provide personal information to a third party.
- (a) If required by law or ordinance.
- (b) In the event that such provision is needed to protect a human life (lives) or body (bodies), or property, and at the same time it is difficult to obtain your consent.
- (c) In the event that such provision is particularly needed to improve public health, or promote the sound development of children, and at the same time it is difficult to obtain your consent.
- (d) In the event that our cooperation is needed when an institution of the national government, a local government, or a person commissioned thereby executes an operation set forth by law or ordinance, and at the same time there is fear that the execution of that operation would be hindered by obtaining your consent.
(4) Under the following circumstances, personal information will not have been considered to have been provided to a third party as set forth in this Section.
- (a) If we outsource the handling of all or part of your personal information to achieve the intended purposes mentioned in Section 3 above.
- (b) If, because of a merger or other reason, personal information is provided for the purpose of business continuity.
- (c) In the event that personal information is jointly used with a specific person, and also we inform you in advance, or at any time enable you to easily know of such a decision, the items of personal information which are being jointly used, the person who is jointly using such personal information, that person's purposes, and the name of the person in charge of dealing with such personal information (including the cases mentioned in Section 6 above).
8.Disclosure, Correction, and Discontinuance of Use of Personal Information, and Discontinuance of Provision of Personal Information to a Third Party
Only you can request disclosure or correction (including addition or deletion) of your personal information, discontinuance of the use of, or discontinuance of the provision of such information to any third party, and we shall deal with such requests at our office mentioned in Section 12 below. We shall confirm whether the person who makes such a request is you before we disclose or correct your personal information, discontinue the use of, or discontinue the provision of such information to any third party. However, if anyone other than you provides information that can be used to confirm your identify and makes a request such as those mentioned above, we shall assume no responsibility for having taken action to deal with those requests.
- (a) Disclosure … With respect to your request to disclose your personal information, we will do so within a reasonable period of time, unless there is a particular reason for not doing so, such as a concern that such a disclosure may affect the proper operation of our business.
- (b) Correction … With respect to your request to correct, add or delete your personal information, we will do so as necessary to achieve the purposes mentioned above and if the information we hold is inaccurate or wrong. However, please understand that if you delete your personal information, we may be unable to offer you some of our products and services.
- (c) Discontinuance of Use of Personal Information … With respect to your request to stop using your personal information to inform you of new products or services by e-mail, mail, telephone, or by other means, we will stop such use immediately after we receive such a request.
- (d) Discontinuance of Provision of Personal Information to a Third Party … With respect to your request to stop providing your personal information to any third party, we will stop such provision immediately after we receive such a request.
9.Compliance with Law and Regulation
We will comply with the Japanese law related to personal information. We will also lay down a compliance program for personal information protection, and comply with it, while continuously trying to improve it.
10.Links from our Web Site
Please note that, although there are links to the web sites of other companies and individuals on our web site, we take no responsibility for any collection of personal information, its use or its provision to any third party that may occur through the use of such links.
ERD Division, EDVEC Inc.